Thursday, April 2, 2009

The costs of war!

After watching "Welcome to Sarajevo" I can't seem to stop thinking about it. I keep thinking about those poor children and I actually had a dream I was at an orphanage helping take care of kids. (Good movies and TV shows cause me to have very vivid dreams about the movie or show. It is crazy!) As I think about those children I think about Michael Henderson and how brave he was to risk his career, and his life, to save those children and show the world the dire circumstances they were in.

As we have been talking about empathy in the news I never could remember a story that really showed empathy and sort of crossed the line in a way, but after that movie I understand. I don't know why more stories aren't like this one. As Americans we think we feel the cost of war when we go to the gas station and have to pay $4 for a gallon of gas, or $5 for a gallon of milk at the grocery store. We think we understand the cost of war because we are suffering financially. But, our eyes are opened up rather quickly when we see children and other helpless citizens being attacked because of where they live. Stories like "Welcome to Sarajevo" show the rest of the world how fortunate we really are and how much we really have to be thankful for.

I am glad there are some journalists out there who are willing to bend the rules and follow their gut feeling. They are willing to step outside the box of what they are supposed to do and actually do something that will benefit other individuals. This is another reason why I hate to see newspapers die. We need journalists to cover these hard stories and let us know what is going on. American citizens need newspapers more than they will understand until it is too late and they are all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment