Friday, January 23, 2009

What bothered me the most

Since this blog is supposed to be about what bothered me the most about Meg in the movie, I'll get straight to the point. I really didn't like that fact that Meg didn't bother to confirm the facts of what she was writing about. I have noticed that several people have pointed this out, but I concur. As a journalist, we have the responsibility to let the public know what is going on, but we need to make sure that it is really going on. I liked the fact that she didn't take into consideration her personal feelings for Mike, but she really needed to cover her back a little bit more. I understand that she basically got the blessing of the attorney and her editor, but that doesn't mean that skipping essentials like verifying is okay. So they printed the article with abscence of malice, but did they really do it in the public interest? Well, given that they didn't know what was true and what was not, I don't think so. Meg knew that the head of the task force has less than charitable reasons for leaving her alone in the room with the file in plain sight. If she really has a nose for news, she should have known that something dirty was playing. She followed the letter of the law and not the spirit of it, meaning that it meant nothing to her. That is basically the opposite of ethical.

No comments:

Post a Comment