Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ashley Zarate

I’m Ashley and I’m quite dull. I forgot which year I am in school many semesters ago, but figuring that out is on my to-do list for this month. I am a print journalism major with a minor in film and production. I live a relatively balanced life with the best dog ever, Bologna Corleone, who often substitutes as the best boyfriend I’ve ever had. I thoroughly enjoy hiking, mostly just being in nature. I hate to toot my own horn but I’m a great cook and I have amazing taste in movies and music. I also spend a lot of my time reading all kinds of literature from Paolo Nerudo to Richard Dawkins.

I tend to lose my moral compass daily, but somehow always hold on to a few personal ethics. I try to be kind yet logical on a daily basis and that seems to be doing the trick.

I don’t believe journalists need a huge list of morals to be good journalists. All we really need to do is tell the story as it happens. Accuracy and timeliness seem to be the only morals we NEED. Surely, all the other mainstream morals (honesty, respect, integrity, loyalty, etc) fit into being accurate with the story. I think we sometimes confuse the truth with the truth as we see it. It’s a small difference but it’s also the difference between non-fiction and creative non-fiction.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I also find it interesting that we can sum up our ethics into a few others yet slightly change the underlying meaning and call it a new ethic. I think it's all a scam to make us feel better about ourselves cause we can have a long list of ethics.

    ReplyDelete