Friday, January 16, 2009

Mack Perry

My name is Mack Perry and I'm majoring in Public Relations and I will also be graduating with a minor in History. I'm from Idaho Falls and I'm a Senior that will hopefully be graduating in the summer. I decided to take Mass Media Ethics for a couple of reasons. I guess the first reason would be that the type of stories I usually tend to write, the stories that I submitted to the Statesman or to the Hard News Cafe for my Opinion Writing class, always tended to be entertainment stories or reviews---in other words, stories that usually allowed me to avoid ethical dilemmas or any type of controversy altogether. It's not that I didn't care about other things going on in the world outside the realm of television or film....I just didn't want to run the risk of offending anyone. So, obviously, a class that addresses the types of issues that journalists are routinely confronted with is something that I think would be worthwhile for any aspiring journalist. Another reason I took the class is simply because I love addressing the topic of ethics and the complexities of moral and ethical conundrums. Some of my favorite pieces of entertainment expose the multitude of differing opinions about a number of issues with out giving a simplistic right or wrong answer and allowing the reader/viewer to formulate their own opinions based on the information presented to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment