Thursday, January 15, 2009

Arie Kirk

My name is Arie. I am a print journalism major graduating in May. I have no idea what I am going to do once I leave USU. I hope to eventually work at a major daily but the market is bleak and because of that, I'm not too thrilled to be graduating. I will also be sad to leave The Statesman, which has been my life for four years. I took this class, in part, because of my job at the paper. I face ethical decisions every day. What I learn in this class will help me at work now and later in life. I also took it simply because I am interested. Ethics are so complex and it helps to see other points of view.

Personal values I have – honesty, a strong work ethic, kindness, sincerity. Those are the big ones. There could be a clash with kindness. Sure, you've got to be good to your sources but sometimes, they aren't going to think your questions or what you're printing is polite. But that's a sacrifice you've got to make. Those other values I listed are essential to success in any field and certainly are crucial to a reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment