Friday, January 23, 2009

Absence of Malice

I’ve seen “Absence of Malice” a few times before, mostly because my mom loves Paul Newman, but also because I really like it. Sally Field’s character, Meg, was outrageous and her ethics are the typical Hollywood movie’s description of a hardcore woman reporter. They have her play this part with little to no remorse or reflection on her journalistic ethics. She writes a story with little facts simply because she wants to get a good story. It seems that she only considers the ethics of her decisions if what she does will hurt someone. She is more concerned with being sued than with other people’s reputations and the truth. She’s very ambitious but not very ethical.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that ethics have to go farther than what if it hurts someone. They should be in place no matter what. That part of the movie drove me insane.

    ReplyDelete