Monday, February 16, 2009

Truth

I was once told by my roommate that I am a 'truth seeker' because I don't always take what people tell me at face value. I think that's why I like philosophy so much, because I get to really examine topics and figure out what it is that I think about the subject. The whole concept of truth has been so muddied with time and with people who think they are being clever that we no longer have a real definition of it. It's kind of like when you hear a word so often that it soon stops sounding like a real word. Sometimes people go to such extremes to find truth that they miss it entirely. I like that Kyle identified 'truth' as being one of the things he values most. I think that the best thing about truth is that it is simple. There is no covering your tracks or explaining in great detail. If you are telling the truth your explanaion can be very simple and people should be able to follow it pretty well.

But why is truth so important? Is it because it gives us common ground? Is it because it provides the greatest good for the greatest number of people? Do we actually want it? Do we really want to know what is really going on sometimes? I think that as a general rule people like to understand things, and if they aren't being told the truth, they will never understand. Truth is like a beautiful little puzzle that falls into place. Once you find a piece that fits, it fits. You don't have to cut off a corner or drive it in with a hammer. Truth is a beautiful thing, and not nearly as obtuse as many make it out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment