Friday, February 13, 2009

Opposite view of the babies

I have to agree with Arie that the biggest news story I have been following very closely lately is the story of Nadia and her 14 children. I watch the interviews and I am completely amazed at the composure this woman has. She is single, in school and now has 14 children under the age of 8. I would cry everyday if that were me!
Unlike Arie though, I think the news has been handling this story very well. Nadia made history because she is the only woman to have all eight babies survive for this long. She is going to have her hands very full for the next 30 years, and I guess I feel the public has a right to know what is going on in her life. Because she is single and still in school, she is going to need some type of help to pay for these children, especially since on one interview she said she no longer has any income coming in. Since residents of California are going to be helping pay for these children through taxes, they have a right to know what is going on and what she is spending her money on.
It reminds me of the stimulus packages the government has been giving to all these big companies. They say they aren't using the tax payers money to name a stadium or to host a trip for their employees, but it doesn't matter. Whatever money they use for things like that, the tax payers money has to compensate for.
The same is with Nadia. If she is using her money to get plastic surgery instead of pay for rent and food, then the public has a right to know. Journalists are reporting the truth. They are asking the tough questions and she is answering. I feel bad for this poor woman, but she does look great for just giving birth to eight babies!
I don't think journalists have a right to intrude on just anyone's life, but Nadia had to have expected this when she found out she was having eight children. I don't feel that they are doing anything ethically wrong, but it does present an ethical question that some may have a problem with. Who knows, maybe she will get her own reality TV show soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment