Saturday, March 21, 2009

Can Journalism be Saved?

It is hard to imagine what is happening now, what with several newspapers going under daily, only as the death of journalism. But I don't believe it's a death, but perhaps an end to journalism as we know it, but ends also spell rebirth. And I believe that journalism is revolutionizing itself now. Gone are the days of printed news and perhaps even journalism as a career, and as its replacement will be the blogger or citizen journalist. I can't say how I feel about this new approach to news, but it might have something to offer. I believe strongly in the marketplace of ideas theory, and with organized news, only a small number of sources exist. With the boom in citizen journalism, I believe the marketplace will be straightened. And perhaps, my biggest pet peeve of journalism, that those with the most money and the biggest voice/opinion, will be resolved. Perhaps with the end of conventional news, the underdog will have a chance, that people with newsworthy stories will get recognized for just that, not for the amount of corporate backing they have. Today, I believe, things are not as cataclysmic as they may seem. Relish the change and remember that journalism will always have a place in society. But whether change means you get paid for it or not, that's a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment