Friday, March 27, 2009

And the winner is ...

Most Western media organizations give limited coverage to global issues. I do, however, have to stick up for CNN. Surprise, surprise. While I still get irritated with many of the anchors on the network, what they cover, how often they cover it, and the fights they pick, I think they cover world conflicts better than any other organization. Better. Not well or nearly enough, but better.

I don't think I have ever seen MSNBC cover anything international and FOX is another story. CNN does all right. If there is a story, they cover it and, typically, they have someone on the scene. CNN's international anchors are some of the best in the business – Michael Ware, Christiane Amanpour, and Nic Robertson, to name a few. Anderson Cooper is another anchor that covers international conflicts well. He is everywhere. Not only does he go to the war zones and areas of famine, but he has done amazing work with his series "Planet in Peril." With this, he does in-depth coverage of global warming and how the planet and animals around the world are being influenced by increasing temperatures, pollution, etc. I believe CNN has anchors that are dedicated to their profession and getting stories to viewers at home.

Even better than this, however, is CNN International. When I travel internationally, this is the channel I trust. Not only do they manage to cover events around the world but developments in the United States as well. I feel like I have a decent understanding of international conflicts and events when watching CNN International. Their anchors are professional and have a greater focus on the real issues, unlike U.S.-based networks who still, even today, think Joe the plumber is a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment